Born in India, she originally came to America to attend Stuart Hall, a Girls’ Preparatory school in Virginia, USA. She then went on to earn a Bachelor of Arts from Wellesley College in Massachusetts, a Master of Arts from the University of Pennsylvania, and a Ph.D. from Temple University. She is the Vice-President ΦBK, Beta Chapter of Maine.
Nikky-Guninder Kaur Singh has served on the editorial board of several journals including the History of Religions, the Journal of the American Academy of Religion, and Sikh Formations.
She has lectured widely in North America, England, France, India, and Singapore, and her presentations have aired on television and radio in America, Canada, Bangladesh, Australia, Ireland and India.
She has published extensively in the field of Sikh studies. Her published works include:
- The First Sikh - The Life and Legacy of Guru Nanak (Penguin, 2019)
- Hymns of the Sikh Gurus (Reprint, Penguin, 2019)
- An Anthology of Lyrical Writings from the Punjab An Anthology of Lyrical Writings from the Punjab (IB Tauris, 2012)
- Sikhism: An Introduction (IB Tauris, 2011)
- Cosmic Symphony: The Early and Later Poems of Bhai Vir Singh (published by the Sahitya Akademi — 2008; republished 2010).
- Birth of the Khalsa (SUNY, 2005)
- Name of My Beloved: Verses of the Sikh Gurus (HarperCollins, 1995; Penguin Classics, 2001)
- Japanese translation of Sikhism (Tokyo, 1994)
- Sikhism: World Religions (New York: Facts on File, 1993)
- Feminine Principle in the Sikh Vision of the Transcendent (Cambridge University Press, 1993)
- Physics and Metaphysics of the Guru Granth (Sterling Publishers, 1981)